[WebKit-devel] Roadmap until the spring?

Adrian von Bidder avbidder at fortytwo.ch
Thu Nov 19 12:25:40 CET 2009

Heyho!

[please cc: me on replies, I'm not on the mailing lists.  Thank you.]

I'm using the webkit kpart as default browser for my (limited, I'm not that
much of a lives-in-the-web-mostly person) web browsing and don't have many
problems.

With the freeze for Debian squeeze (currently testing) coming up within the
next months: should I try to get the webkit kpart into the squeeze stable
release (which will probably be based on KDE 4.3.2 or 4.3.3), or is it still
changing too fast?  (Note that squeeze will have the usual Debian life cycle
of 18m onths to 2 years until it is replaced by squeeze + 1)

The main issue I see is potential security bugs.  I'm not good enough a C++
coder to fix these myself, so I'd need some help.  OTOH I'd expect most
security issues to come from webkit itself and not the qt/kde bindings, so
we may be able to handle this.

In the longer term:  I understand the webkit KDE bindings will move into
kdelibs soon-ish (KDE 4.4?)  Will the kpart move with it, or will it
continue to be distributed separately for some time?

(... and without wanting to reopen the controversy: was there a recent
*conclusive* discussion about the whole khtml vs, webkit issue as a default
renderer in KDE?)

cheers
-- vbi

--
The use of COBOL cripples the mind; its teaching should, therefore, be
regarded as a criminal offence.