[WebKit-devel] webkit-kpart and gmail

Urs Wolfer uwolfer at kde.org
Sat Feb 7 16:28:55 CET 2009

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 07:50:53 Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 2/3/09, Michael Howell <mhowell123 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Monday 02 February 2009 5:45:26 am Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> >  > Hello,
> >  >
> >  > I finally succeeded in migrating from kde-3.5 to kde-4.2!
> >  >
> >  > A while ago I was using arora browser which is based on qt-webkit to
> >  > simulate how it would be if I use konqueror with webkit-kpart.
> >  >
> >  > Although both of them using the same version of qt-webkit, there is a
> >  > difference between the two.
> >  >
> >  > As far as I see the UserAgent string is sent without "AppleWebKit/412"
> >  > id, should this be send?
> >  >
> >  > Is there any configuration needed in order to make gmail work properly
> >  > in standard view?
> >  >
> >  > Konqueor-3.5 worked well with faked agent of Mozilla-1.7.3, while
> >  > konqeuror 4.2 does not.
> >  >
> >  > I thought that using WebKit all problems will be solved, as Gmail
> >  > supports WebKit.
> >  >
> >  > For now I am using arora for gmail.
> >  >
> >  > Any help will be appreciated.
> >  > Thanks!
> >  > Alon.
> >
> >  As far as I know, the user agent should be sent with the WebKit version
> > in it. Any trouble you have with GMail is a bug, unless, of course, you
> > didn't use WebKit (View->View Mode->WebKit) (Settings->Configure
> > Konqueror->File Management->File Associations->text->html->Embedding).
> > Yes, I know the switch is slightly (read: mountainously) complicated.
>
> I did switch correctly... Also via View->View Mode->WebKit
> Which component has a bug gmail or webkit-kpart?

The useragent set looks like that:
Mozilla/5.0 (Konqueror/4.2; Linux) AppleWebKit/527+ (KHTML, like Gecko,
Safari/419.3)

I think that is okay. You can try Arora (http://code.google.com/p/arora/),
another QtWebKit based browser. If GMail works with that you should report
that bug to kdewebkit. If it does not, please report the issue to
bugs.webkit.org.

Bye
urs