[Uml-user] Importing Umbrello XMI files

Anastasios Hatzis ah at hatzis.de
Wed May 2 15:42:52 UTC 2007

Hello,

I'm the author of the light-weight MDA tool pyswarm
[http://pyswarm.sourceforge.net/]. The prototype can import XMI files (as
Platform Independent Models), then transforms them to PSMs and generates a
corresponding Python application which uses PostgreSQL databases to store
persistent business objects, including scripts to setup the Python packages
and initialize the databases.

Currently only XMI 2.1 files of MagicDraw are supported (for historical
reasons). Now I would like to add support for XMI formats of other UML tools.
I also plan that future pyswarm releases can export transformed models back
to tool-specific XMI formats. Since pyswarm is a GPLed tool I prefer XMI
exchange with Free Software UML tools.

For doing this I want to learn the differences between the XMI formats of the
UML tools. As far as I understand this is not easy, but I hope it will be
possible with a reasonable effort.

Thus I would like to know which UML and XMI versions Umbrello can export and
which it can import (and eventually which Umbrello version).

And I would like to learn if there are significant differences or
incompleteness to what the corresponding standards specify.

And, finally, I would like to know how stable the format(s) is/are. Especially
since I'm still in alpha-phase I would like to avoid extensive update and
maintanance work long before the first final release :)

I will build a test model with Umbrello which covers the features (eventually
with work-arounds) I need to test with my generator, but it would help me a
lot if you can provide me with the missing information.

In any case I'm looking forward to your comments. Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Anastasios