[Uml-user] Re: How to compile umbrello on MacOS X

Bill Bug bbug at speakeasy.org
Tue Jun 14 22:34:22 UTC 2005

woitek peter <wildmac99 <at> yahoo.de> writes:

> Hello umbrello users an developers,
>
> here are the steps that should build a functional
> umbrello program on MacOS X (my system version is
> 10.3, fink 0.7.1):
>
> 1. Install Developer Tools, X11, X11 SDK, CoreAudio
> SDK
> 2. Download and install Fink using
> http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/index.php?phpLang=en
> 2.0. You don't need the additional tools from the disk
> image (like FinkCommander)
> 2.1. Let the install program create some entries in
> your bash profile - probably it won't function
> 2.2. append  the new entries from ~/.profile to the
> end of  /etc/profile and ~/.bashrc (for X11)
> (line "test -r /sw/bin/init.sh && . /sw/bin/init.sh")
> 2.3. Check if /etc/profile and ~/.bashrc  append
> "/usr/local/bin" to $PATH
> 3. Open new terminal window an enter: "sudo apt-get
> install bundle-kde-ssl kdelibs3-ssl-dev qt3-dev
> libjpeg libpng3 arts-dev libart2"
> (approx. 20 min. download with 150 KB/s, you can also
> use non-ssl versions omitting "-ssl")
> 4. Open X11 Terminal and enter: startkde &
> 5. Configuration assistant: select country, system
> behaviour "MacOS", Keramik style
> 6. Ignore connection failure to sound server
> 7. For a proper GUI, position the MacOS dock left or
> right
> 8. Click X11 symbol in the dock and open new  X
> terminal with Apple+N, enter: kcontrol &
> 9. Attention! Do not use mouse/trackpad until
> finishing the next step!
> 10. Navigate with tab and space, in Desktop->Behavior
> deactivate "Enable desktop menu" and "Enable icons on
> desktop",
> navigate with tab to the button "Apply" and press
> space -> now you can use your mouse/trackpad as usual
> 11. In Style->Miscellaneous deactivate "Menubar on top
> of the screen in the style of MacOS", click "Apply"
> 12. Quit kcontrol, KDE (using Logout)
> 13. Get the source package of umbrello and unpack it,
> edit the following lines of "configure":
> line 29629 (qt-check will be ignored):
> "(exit 1); exit 1" -> "(echo 1); echo 1"
> line 31769 (makekdewidgets-check will be ignored)
> "(exit 1); exit 1" -> "(echo 1); echo 1"
> 14. enter in Terminal:
>  ./configure --with-extra-includes=/sw/include
> --with-extra-includes=/sw/include/qt
> --with-extra-libs=/sw/lib --with-qt-libs=/sw/lib; make
> 15. enter: sudo make install
> 16. start umbrello directly from the MacOS X11
> Terminal (enter "umbrello &") or from within KDE
>
> NOTE: Please answer to peter.woitek <at> stud.tu-ilmenau.de
> (I had "postmaster verification" problems on that
> account so I send the mail from yahoo)
>
> Best regards,
> Peter Woitek

> Introducing Yahoo! Search Developer Network - Create apps using Yahoo!
> Search APIs Find out how you can build Yahoo! directly into your own
> Applications - visit http://developer.yahoo.net/?fr=offad-ysdn-ostg-q22005

Dear Peter,

I've noticed if you use the "unstable" packages in Fink (for either Mac OS X
v10.3.x or v10.4.x), umbrello is one of the available packages.

You end up installing all the same dependencies you list below via Fink.

Unfortunately, at least when I attempt it, I can never get Qt and/or KDE to
build successfully - whether I attempt it via Fink or DarwinPorts.

I am able to successfully install all the dependencies leading up to Qt, but Qt
itself fails, generally with a segmentation fault.

Maybe if I follow the detailed instructions you lay out below, I'll be able to
get it to work.  I assume where the process is failing has something to do with
the build's ability to use the X11 developer files - headers & libs - correctly.

I'm definitely getting the "test -r /sw/bin/init.csh && source /sw/bin/init.csh"
statement placed in the proper user config file.  I'm using tcsh, so it ends up
written as given above in my '~/Library/init/tcsh/login.mine'.

I definitely have "/usr/local/bin" in my $PATH.

If you have any advice on where things may be going wrong for me, I'd appreciate
your feedback.

Cheers,
Bill Bug