[Uml-user] uml & sql

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Wed Oct 27 16:44:32 UTC 2004

On Mon, Oct 25, 2004 at 05:34:52PM +0200, Balazs Miklos wrote:

> So, as a first step, I would like to design some SQL tables with UML, but
> I've ran into some difficulties:
>
> 1. How can I correctly enter SQL data types? For example, if I want to
>    represent a VARCHAR(100) type column in UML, what type should I give
>    for the respective attribute? If I enter the size of the field in
>    parantheses, it will treat VARCHAR(30) and VARCHAR(100) as different
>    types, for example. IMHO the logical solution would be to enter only
>    VARCHAR as the attribute's type, and give the size parameter somewhere
>    else. But where?
>
> 2. How do I define PRIMARY KEYs / FOREIGN KEYs?

UML does object orientated diagrams.  SQL does relations.  The two
models are quite different so they don't really match.  I'd like
Umbrello to be able to do relations but currently it doesn't.  There
is an SQL code generator which is a kludge in my opinion and lets you
make SQL but I havn't used it so don't know how it works.

Sorry I can't help more, maybe someone who has used it can answer.

Jonathan Riddell