[Uml-user] basic questions

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sat Mar 27 09:41:10 UTC 2004

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 07:17:01PM +0000, Bryan Lawrence wrote:

> 1) If I create a class, why is it that I can only create attributes which are
> integers via the pull-down menu?   (I can type in my own datatypes, but then
> they turn up as UML datatype objects - I would have thought I didn't need to
> do that for language builtins like booleans etc - which indeed do turn up as
> options for return values from operations that I create for the class).

booleans and other builtin types are datatypes.

It's because I havn't added datatypes for Python yet.  The question is
should we have a standard set of datatypes for all languages and
translate them as code is exported (since UML is supposed to be
language indepenant) or have specific datatypes for each language.
The first seems more correct.

> 2) I think the above is language independent. Python-wise, is there any chance
> I can get python types like dictionary and lists as datatypes without having
> to create them myself?

Actually I don't know if inbuild data structures like dictionarys,
lists and (in C type languages) arrays should be datatypes, I suspect not.

There seems to be a problem, when you add an attribute of type
new_class1 or whatever it tries to create a datatype for you, which it
shouldn't.

Jonathan