[Uml-user] Bugs and further development of umbrello

dr.andreas.schenk at gmx.net dr.andreas.schenk at gmx.net
Tue Dec 21 15:08:02 UTC 2004

Hi,

I started to look into umbrello last weekend. First of all, I should say that
I was impressed. I didn't expect to find so much functionality in this
project. Thank you for providing this application as open source!

Unfortunately, much work remains to be done, i.e. there are also some bugs to
report. I am using release 1.3.0 for SUSE 9.0 with SUSE 9.0. This release
cannot be used to do real work. It crashes too often. Hence, I tried to build
1.3.2, but it requires Qt 3.3, which is not part of SUSE 9.0. Is it possible,
to get this release for SUSE 9.0? I don't want to go back to an older
release, since it is missing to much functionality.

Next I have to report some bugs in detail. I am using java as the only active
language.

I created a class of the form a::b::c::d::e::Bank with a composition
association to the class a::b::c::d::e::SecuritiesAccount. In the generated
source for the class Bank I find the statement

import a::b::c::d::e.SecuritiesAccount;

(note, that only after e there is a dot, as required by the java syntax)
instead of

import a.b.c.d.e.SecuritiesAccount;

Then I would like to define a static operation in the class Bank, that returns
a list of all Bank objects. The signature should be something like (in java)

public static List getBankList() {...}

or, in UML an underlined (since static class method)

+ getBankList() : List
--------------------

where List is the java class java.util.List. If I do so, the code for the
class is generated wrong: umbrello generates

public List getBankList()

without the static keyword.  On the other hand, I miss the required

import java.util.List;

I don't know, how I can specify a java type of some library, so that umbrello
inserts the correct import <<type>>; statement.

Maybe some of these bugs are already fixed in a newer release?

In the long run I would like to model J2EE applications with UML. I don't
know, whether the functionality of umbrello is sufficient for these kind of
models yet. In case I find some points for improvement, are you interested
that I share my experience?

Regards,

Andreas Schenk

P.S.: I am also interested in UML 2. There was already an E-Mail concerning
this topic on the list today.