[Uml-user] "system halted"

Erik Walthinsen omega at temple-baptist.com
Fri Apr 11 14:20:05 UTC 2003

I've been doing a lot of cycling of UML machines to get a system set up,
and once in a while I'm getting syslog messages on the *host* when I shut
down a UML machine:

Message from syslogd at narsil at Fri Apr 11 14:15:27 2003 ...
narsil kernel: System halted.

During load testing I can get things like:

Message from syslogd at narsil at Fri Apr 11 13:39:28 2003 ...
narsil last message repeated 3 times

This gets spammed across all my sessions on that box, so it's definitely
going to the host's syslogd.  The question is how is that possible?  Is it
a rogue packet that's making its way out the tuntap device?  There are no
visible calls to syslog anywhere in the UML kernel code itself...

Has anyone seen this before, or should I a) ignore it or b) track it down
with a packet sniffer or whatever other vectors it might have?

TIA,
   Omega

      Erik Walthinsen <omega at temple-baptist.com> - System Administrator
        __