[Uml-user] Methods Without Homes

Jens Krüger jkrueger1 at users.sourceforge.net
Tue Nov 19 05:02:05 UTC 2002

I think, it is not a good idea to put methods without classes in a class
diagram. From my point of view it would be better to use other mechanisms of
the UML to display the functionality of the methods. It may be that you can
show the functionality of these methods inside a sequence, state, activity or
collaboration diagram. UML was not designed for writing and storing some code
inside. It is more a language for describing aspects of the software, which
uses an object oriented design (A lot of tools handling the uml, support the
import of code to simplify the development process, but this does not belong
to the UML).  Please, have a look at your code (problem) with this
background.

Regards Jens

Am Montag, 18. November 2002 14:43 schrieb beno:
> Hi;
> I'm trying to reverse engineer my first script. It's written in Python and
> utilizes both OOP and AOP (written for Zope in ZPatterns). The Python
> scripts have classes, of course, but also have methods outside of the
> classes, one of which is key to the entire s/w. How do I incorporate these
> into an UML class diagram? Do I treat the orphaned methods as if they were
> classes in their own right?
> TIA,
> beno

Jens