[Uml-user] Directional Use Case Association Lines?

Steven Hatfield ashari at knightswood.net
Sat Sep 15 14:06:02 UTC 2001

On Saturday 15 September 2001 10:42 am, Paul Hensgen wrote:
> I'll add it in.
>
> On Fri, 14 Sep 2001 13:30, you wrote:
> > Hello,
> > Can you add association lines with filled arrow heads that show the
> > direction of a use case.
> >
> > Here is an example:
> >
> > User -> Get Order Status
> >      Depicts that the user has requested the status of an order
> > User <- Get Order Status
> >      Depicts that the system has updated the display with the status of
> > an order (not requested by the user).
> >
> > Right now, all I see is:
> > User -- Get Order Status
> >
> > and it's less clear than I would like to make it.
> >
> > Thanks and have a great weekend!
> > -Steven

Thank you!

BTW, I've been using Visio to do some UML diagramming lately, and I like your
UML client much better than Visio.. simply because it makes better diagrams
than Visio does. I think that you are doing a good thing with respect to the
toolbar bar on the right of the window having meaingful components to the
scope of the current diagram.

One more thing that I noticed is that the UML application doesn't have a
"composition" arrow (solid line with filled diamond end). What I suggest is
that you add the composition line, but in the back end, make the line type a
property of the line. Then the user can right click on the line, choose
properties, and change the line type... all without having to redraw the
line. The ends would change to match what the current line type property is
set to when the user clicks "ok".

Also, I noticed a little bug in the lines. When you first create a line,
there is no Role Name assigned to the line. If you change the role name to
something, it works fine, but if you erase the role name from the line, there
is a noticable gap/space in the line where the role name used to be. It
should go back to being a solid line again, right?

Good work on this, you are answering the prayers of many people.

One more suggestion? Open up a PayPal account and allow us to donate some
money to you for your efforts. I think more open source programmers should do
this, as I'm sure there are a lot of people who would donate money to show
their appreciation for their hard work.

Have a great weekend!
-Steven

--