Why does UMLObject derive from QObject, anyway?

Robert Hairgrove code at roberthairgrove.com
Wed Nov 17 10:23:04 GMT 2021

The two signals declared in UMLObject are only connected to other
SIGNALS in the classes derived from UMLObject; there are no SLOTS which
use these signals, AFAICT. (I just opened the Umbrello project in Qt
Creator and made extensive use of the "Find References to Symbol under
cursor" feature...) And it seems that the automatic deletion facility
offered by the parent-child relationships of QObject types is mostly not
used, or not used correctly.

Is there any documentation that explains the reasoning for this QObject
relationship? If the other derived classes were not QObjects, maybe it
would be easier to implement proper copy and assignment which are
disallowed by QObject (and more predictable memory management).

Of course, this applies mostly to the non-widget classes; we need the
widgets for the diagrams and the rest of the GUI, of course. But the UML
document objects could just as well be non-Qt classes, perhaps
implementing the underlying data stores for different model types which
the diagrams and views (list and tree views) could use.