XMI_FILE_VERSION in umbrello/version.h

Oliver Kellogg olivermkellogg at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 16:02:36 BST 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 9:55 AM Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:
> [...]
> > It is a problem because given any XMI file with the version, such as 1.6.19,
> > we cannot tell whether the file is from a build using
> > #if defined(ENABLE_WIDGET_SHOW_DOC) || defined(ENABLE_XMIRESOLUTION)
> > or from a build using the #else part.
> > In other words, the number is ambiguous.
> [...]
> As there may be other unstable features in the future that could affect
> the version of the xmi file, this should be fixed. Do you have any
> suggestions ?

XMI_FILE_VERSION shall not have #ifdefs attached.
It shall be a single, unique version string which is only incremented
when the XMI format is changed.
It is exclusively related to the loadFromXMI/saveToXMI functions.

Whether Umbrello can act upon the added XMI tag or attribute reliably
and in the desired manner is another matter.
That does not belong in the XMI_FILE_VERSION but in the UMBRELLO_VERSION_STRING.

I propose extending the <XMI.exporter> tag to contain the
UMBRELLO_VERSION_STRING, for example:
    <XMI.exporter>umbrello uml modeller 2.31.70-a9d91d68a
http://umbrello.kde.org</XMI.exporter>

If a certain Umbrello version has a problem in the load/save functions
then it shall be possible to know the version just from the XMI files
attached to the bug reports.

- Oliver