[Uml-devel] Migration of KDESDK to git, finally? :)

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Tue May 8 15:11:51 UTC 2012

Hi,

KDESDK currently is still in svn. At least for Okteta I would like to have
a move from svn to git as soon as possible.

While there have been two threads about this on this list,
"migration of kdesdk to git - status?" from 18.12.2010 and
"Idea: Converting KDESDK incrementally" from 28.03.2011, so far
nothing has happened, besides Kate and kdesrc-build having moved out
of KDESDK to other modules. I would like to change that and have something
happening :)

The gist from the threads is that
* the KDESDK module should be split into separate repos, as the single
  submodules do not have anything in common, like libs or stuff
* the whole of KDESDK should be moved to git in one step, to reduce the mess
  for release managers, packagers and friends
Anyone disagrees?

Some brave people seem to have prepared set of rules for all the components
of the KDESDK module (thanks to them), see
https://projects.kde.org/projects/playground/sdk/kde-
ruleset/repository/revisions/master/show/kdesdk
What is the state of these rules? Can the result be checked somewhere?
Niko Sams, in the thread "migration of kdesdk to git - status?" as referenced
above you also talked about having prepared rules, are they in some way
integrated in what is in the repo linked above?

Who are the current maintainers of all the submodules in KDESDK? I tried to
put all in cc: which looked like the one, see also below who I listed
for each submodule.

Looking through KDESDK I wonder what should end up in a separate git repo
and what not.

Standalone programs:
* cervisia - Christian Loose
* kcachegrind - Josef Weidendorfer
* kompare - Kevin Kofler
* lokalize - Nick Shaforostoff
* okteta - myself :)
* umbrello - umbrello devs
Surely one repo per program, right?

Plugins, grouped by type:
* dolphin-plugins
	svn -Peter Penz
	hg - Vishesh Yadav
	git - Sebastian Doerner
	bazaar - Jonathan Riddell
* kioslave
	perldoc - Michael Pyne?
	svn - Mickael Marchand?
* strigi-analyzer
	diff - Laurent Montel/Jakub Stachowski
	po - Montel Laurent/Nick Shaforostoff/Jos van den Oever
	ts - Montel Laurent/Jakub Stachowski
	xlf - Albert Astals Cid
One repo per plugin? One repo per type?

Development utils for KDE developers:
* kapptemplate - Anne-Marie Mahfouf
* kdeaccounts-plugin - Carsten Pfeiffer?
* kdepalettes - ? (and still useful? nothing build/installed here)
* kmtrace - seems unmaintained
* kpartloader - David Faure
* kprofilemethod - David Faure
* kstartperf - Geert Jansen
* kuiviewer - Benjamin C. Meyer
* poxml - uh, no license headers! (Albert Astals Cid)
* scripts - lots of kde devs
Lots of small tools/helpers, basically not useful for anyone outside
KDE development. Dump in one repo?

I also wonder if these utilities here should not be split out into a separate
module, or the other way round, if all the "real" programs and plugins
should not make up a new module called "devtools"/"kdedev" or whatever,
so the module with the "real" products can be better promoted to users
outside of the group of KDE developers.
And kapptemplate could also move to the module kdeexamples perhaps, as kind
of code-to-copy/start-from?

Completely excluded from build are:
* kspy - Richard Moore
* kunittest - Jeroen Wijnhout
* scheck - Maksim Orlovich/Ryan Cumming
These should be moved to tags/unmaintained in svn in any case?

And while I have the attention of lots of KDESDK developers, would you mind
if I take over the role as coordinator of KDESDK from Matt (in case his offer
is still up) and mess^Wtry to clean-up the module a little?

Cheers
Friedrich