[Uml-devel] Brush vs. Color (QGraphicsView)

Bastian Holst bastianholst at gmx.de
Wed Feb 15 21:12:07 UTC 2012

Hello again,

the first thing I noticed in the QGraphicsView port of umbrello was that the
color of new widgets is not set to the default colour. The reason for this is
the following:
In trunk everything works as expected, on a creation of an object, the color
is set to the color specified in the options. WidgetBase has a property
“fillColor” which resembles the fillColor attribute in the .xmi-file.
In the soc-umbrello branch this was substituted with a property “brush” (of
the type QBrush). Additionally on construction of the WidgetBase object the
brush is set to a brush called “awesomeBrush” (with a gradient and so on),
which definately looks better than the original yellow brush, but that's not
the point here.

Independent of what is painted afterwards I'd like the WidgetBase interface to
resemble exactly what can be seen in the xmi-file and in the configuration file.
Basically there are two ways of achieving this.
1. Changing the WidgetBase interface back to something taking a fill color
(remember, you can still add a gradient for painting later)
2. Changing the xmi-file-structure and the configuration dialog so that it is
possible to configure a brush (with a gradient and so on).

At the moment I would prefer changing WidgetBase back to take a fill color, but
I thought this topic could probably need some discussion (probably somebody
intended way 2 as she/he changed it). My preference is mostly based on the
fact that I have no idea what aspects of a brush the user would have to be
configurable. In the end I think this would result in a more complicated
configuration dialog without having much benifit.
What do you think?

Best regards
Bastian