[Uml-devel] Critical Bug

Kip Warner kip at thevertigo.com
Mon Jun 28 04:05:38 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-06-28 at 05:47 +0200, Oliver Kellogg wrote:
> Yes, streams (as in sed) or perl:
>
> $ perl -n -e '$len = length($_);
>               if ($len > 1500) {
>                 print("line $. : $len\n");
>               }' AresEngine_broken.xmi
> line 35 : 67109044
> line 3463 : 67109031
>
> I.e. there are two obvious lines with binary junk (identified by their
> exorbitant lengths) , namely line 35 and line 3463.
>
> So then:
>
> $ perl -n -e 'if ($. != 35 && $. != 3463) {
>                 print($_);
>               }' AresEngine_broken.xmi > AresEngine_try.xmi
>
> takes the file size from 136787004 bytes down to 2568929 bytes.
>
> I have not tried whether the resulting XMI is okay, though.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Oliver

Hey Oliver. Very helpful. I had spotted the junk earlier, but I am not
sure how it got there. The reason why I was having troubles was that
practically any editor was locking up my machine when I tried to open it
(sorry, I don't know enough perl). I had tried gedit, mlview, and even
nano. I finally managed to get it to work with a non-free text editor,
but only having to reboot after several kernel hard locks, owing to
consuming a few gigs of ram.

In any case, we're back online. Hopefully we can figure out what was
causing it.

Thanks again for your help.

--
Kip Warner -- Software Engineer