[Uml-devel] Building umlwidgets from textitems

Gopala Krishna krishna.ggk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 25 19:12:05 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 7:29 PM, Ralf Habacker <ralf.habacker at freenet.de> wrote:

>> The performance is quite good !
>>
>> My only concern is probable increase in memory usage,
>> But i think this is manageable as the number of widgets on a diagram
>> is usually < 50.
>>

> Any idea how much more memory will be used ? That would help to estimate the
> limits.

Hmm. That dragged me to do some profiling, which i rarely do :-)
I modified my textitem program a bit to study and initially used
krunner's "system activity monitor" to note memory usage.
The following is the program's snapshot showing 100 class diagram like
items which have 4 text items each. (i doubt there will ever be so
many diagrams anyway ;) )

http://tinyurl.com/4mqtlm

Here is snapshot of ods file i used for analysis(googledocs seems to
be too much, so i decided to post picture instead)

http://tinyurl.com/4ohe7q

Then i realized there is a tool called massif from valgrind and i
tried it for the first time. Here is the graph of memory snapshots
taken.

http://tinyurl.com/48hg4b

I don't know how to extract or visualize lot more info produced by
massif. I would be glad if any of you can step in to investigate it
more :-)

Here are the links to massif's output

http://krishna.ggk.googlepages.com/out.txt
http://krishna.ggk.googlepages.com/massif.out.6191

My Conclusions:

Currently i found the performance to be very good even with 400 + 100
items with hover, tootip effects.
Infact i ran the program without any optimization features enabled
from qt4.4's graphicsview and memory usage also isn't bad.
The test program used 7516K at most(with 100 + 400 items) and even if
this is considered "Extra" it isn't too much :)

So please give me your valuable opinion, whether to continue with text
items or not ?

--
Cheers,
Gopala Krishna A