[Uml-devel] GSoC idea

Rafael Fernández López ereslibre at kde.org
Mon Jan 21 00:12:16 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am not an Umbrello developer, and I'm not suscribed to this list, so please,
if you need to ask me something or you say something I should read, please CC
me the mail :)

First of all, Umbrello is a great app. I like it very much, it has strong
points, and it could be improved at other points. With those points improved
it can be a really amazing app.

As I see today Umbrello, it is a nice way of modelling with UML. As we know (I
have a subject at University in which we learn UML and OCL), UML is not
always enough, and as I see it, on Umbrello is when we use the "Note" tool,
for writing OCL statements.

My university is developing in Java (it is not free software :-() an
application for UML and OCL modelling (it also lets you model with
SecureUML). Its strong point is without any doubt its ability of letting you
add preconditions, invariants, postconditions to methods and methods, of
course, but not only the method definition. Here I explain better:

The application is called MOVA [1]. It uses Maude [2] (GPLv2) for the logic.
This is very nice because you can have classes (with attributes and methods),
but you can define a method with OCL, and in your object diagram ask for a
certain method of an object. So to say:

class Dog
int age
bool amIOld();

And you can define amIOld as an OCL expression, for example: "self:Dog.age >
8".

Later, in your object diagram, you can have:

Bobby       Doggy
age = 5     age = 10

As I have no access to the source code of MOVA, I guess that the application
should build some kind of file that Maude understands, and later behind the
scenes asks Maude for a reply.

Of course: Bobby.amIOld() == false and Doggy.amIOld() == true.

Their application directly shows a terminal with the reply of Maude.

Of course inside OCL expressions you can also call to other OCL expressions,
recursive OCL calls, etc.

I really think Umbrello would be just amazing with this feature too. If I had
free time for making things like this apart from kdelibs and kdebase I would
give it a try (maybe even as a GSoC student), but I'm afraid I've enough
coding on kdelibs and kdebase :)

[1] http://maude.sip.ucm.es/mova/
[2] http://maude.cs.uiuc.edu/

Bye,
Rafael Fernández López

GPG Fingerprint: B9F4 4730 43F8 FFDD CC5E BA8E 724E 406E 3F01 D070