[Uml-devel] GraphicsView port: Approach

Oliver Kellogg okellogg at users.sourceforge.net
Mon Apr 28 16:50:15 UTC 2008

On Friday 25 April 2008 17:28, Gopala Krishna wrote:

>   Here are the things which i'll be accomplishing initially
>
> (1) Convert UMLViewCanvas to UMLScene (i.e inherit QGraphicsScene
> [...]
> (2) Migrate most of UMLView code to UMLViewScene. [...]
> (3) Also migrate as many possible event handling and item interaction
> code to subclasses of UMLWidget.

Sounds fine to me.

> (4) Rip off WidgetBase. UMLWidget will be base class of widgets in
> general(both rectangular and non rectangular)

I had made WidgetBase to factor the methods that are common between
UMLWidget and AssociationWidget.
I am not sure why you want to remove that class (?)

> The sub classes can then easily be implemented for specific purpose
> (LinkWidget for eg)

Are you saying that LinkWidget would inherit from UMLWidget?
But UMLWidget has a rectangular quality while LinkWidget does not?
Please explain your proposed inheritance graph.

> (5) Port all other widgets and get umbrello to compile.

> (6) Try to remove signals, slots and finally QObject base for
> UMLWidget and also UMLObject if possible.

Well, a few of the signals/slots are really okay.
For example, on renaming a class in the list view, all widget
representations of the class should be updated to the new name
(this may affect multiple diagrams.)

Hope this helps

Oliver