[Uml-devel] umbrello win32 efforts

Ralf Habacker ralf.habacker at freenet.de
Sat Aug 25 16:07:20 UTC 2007

Hi,

in the last days i tried to compile umbrello on windows, which was
successfull.

I used the free Microsoft VCExpress++ compiler - install instructions
could be found on
http://www.kdelibs.com/wiki/index.php/Building_KDElibs_4_using_MS_Visual_Studio
and somewhere on http://techbase.kde.org.

Then I performed some tests to see in which area umbrello is running or
not. So I imported some c++ classes of the kdewin installer from kde svn
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/kdewin-installer/

Mostly of them could be imported without any problems. Some of them
raised null pointer exception for example
http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/kdesupport/kdewin-installer/gui/packagestates.h?view=markup

I tried to catch this null pointer issues in the appended patch, but the
way how the fix is made may be not the best.
Additional I recognized some not initialized variables in
umbrello/umlwidgetcontroller.cpp (see appended patch)

I found some more null pointer issue (for example when saving files) but
have no idea how to fix and how much efforts it requires.

I think that umbrello would be a nice tool for open source software
development on windows and that more people are interested to see this
running and that some of them are willing to spend some time for fixing
issues.

Are there any hints how to fix ?

Regards

Ralf