[Uml-devel] Umbrello !

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Nov 2 14:33:13 UTC 2006

On Mon, Oct 30, 2006 at 01:12:24PM +0000, hassan kouch wrote:
> We are a group of students from Toulouse University in France. We are
> planning to work on the Umbrello project with Mr. Kevin Ottens
> (ervin at kde.org), as our supervisor.

Salut, I'm very pleased to have you on board, especially since I hear
you're taking the extra risk of working on the KDE 4 version.

> That being said, we would like to propose that our group works on the
> following project features:
>           - Performance of the software.
>           - UML 2.0 support.
>           - SQL code generator (import and export).
>           - Undo/Redo feature.
>           - Automatic graphical objects page-layout.

All sound great.  It might be a good idea to document your plans for
each of these changes. For example I'm not sure what needs to be done
for UML 2 support, but it would be great to find out and have it
done.

We already have undo/redo of course but it's very primitive and
memory intensive (just saving the whole diagram to memory with each
change), would be great to have a proper framework for this specified
and implemented.

Automatic graphical objects page-layout can be done
with graphviz, we already have code for that but it links directly to
graphviz which is not GPL compatible so we can't use it, changing it
to export to Graphviz's Dot file format and import again would be the
solution.

There's probably also various changes needed to fix issues with the
port to KDE 4, including simple stuff like spacing of widgets which
would be great to have fixed.

Will you be working on a branch?  What is the timescale for the
university project?

It's all very exciting.

Jonathan