[Uml-devel] Broken Selection of diagram items

Achim Spangler Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de
Tue Jul 11 20:15:37 UTC 2006

Hi,
am I the only one, where the new algorithms for detection of mouse-click
selected items goes crazy for bigger diagrams?

As soon as my diagrams (class or sequence diagram tested) gets bigger, I
detect, the following problems:
a) click at background results in _several_ selected items somewhere around
b) a fresh selected item can not immediately be used for property changing,
   context menu actions on this item or moving

I didn't find any static pattern like "always class widgets can't be
selected", as it seems more dependent on the density of elements in diagram
space.

This can get especially troublesome, when I want to move messages in a
sequence diagram - especially when lots of messages ( 10 to 20 ) are
contained in the diagram.

So - is there some too active heuristic (take also items that are not exactly
matched), or are there some state sync problems between some modules?

In the strange case, that I would be the only affected person, I could try to
create an example XMI project file. But as my current work xmi is for
commercial use, I would have to derive a proof of problem example.

Kind Regards,
Achim