[Uml-devel] Importing Java Sources

Robin Rawson-Tetley robin at rawsontetley.org
Thu Feb 10 08:17:02 UTC 2005

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but...

I've been using Umbrello for a while and really like it, but I really
needed to import a *lot* of Java source into it to help me build models
from an existing codebase.

I couldn't find any tools that did it so I knocked up a quick (well, a
day) command line utility to convert Java sources to an XMI document. I've
attached it to this mail as tar.gz - it's a Java app with a build script for
GCJ/Javac and a man page. It was enough for my purposes and hopefully
others might find it useful.

I'm not sure whether the code itself is useful to you, it uses a string
parser to read and interpret the source (rather than reflection and
requiring java) and it could be easily translated to C++ or any language
if desired.

Anyway, hope someone finds this useful. I think it offers a decent
stopgap until Umbrello supports Java sources internally.

Thanks for a great tool.

Cheers,

Rob

P.S. I'm not subscribed to the list so if you want to talk to me, reply
directly. Thanks.

Robin Rawson-Tetley (robin at rawsontetley.org)

Jabber: bobintetley at jabber.com
Yahoo:  bobintetley