[Uml-devel] Refactoring the code base -- what should be done?

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Fri Sep 24 08:52:05 UTC 2004

On Friday 24 September 2004 05:22 am, Pekka Jääskeläinen wrote:
> [would complete redesign make sense?]
>
> Oliver Kellogg wrote:
> > Yes, but IMHO it helps a lot to first have an in depth look at the
> > existing implementation (Umbrello), and work out an exact critique of
> > what needs improvement or redesign. Doing that will help arriving at a
> > qualified decision on whether to go with evolution or revolution.
>
> Ok. It needs to be done by someone who is familiar with the code
> base. I have no insight of the "big picture".
>
> I'm listening.

i might offer the suggestion to postpone this decision for a while at least
until the kde core and ui libs have started moving to qt4 (which is some ways
away as far as i can tell). it might be worthwhile to use the gap from here
to there to start writing down a real wishlist and some ideas about what a
modeling application "could" do. this might also involve some communication
with the kdevelop folks.

besides, i'm really excited about the new QCanvas (antialising rules!).
there's nothing wrong with great looking diagrams :)

andrew sutton
asutton at cs.kent.edu