[Uml-devel] usability suggestions

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Wed Sep 22 06:32:10 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 22 September 2004 01:43 am, Oliver Kellogg wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-09-22 at 01:59, Stefan Seefeld wrote:
> > [...]
> > Your library looks good, though. Are there any plans to use it as a
> > backend to umbrello ? For example, if umbrello would be (iteratively)
> > refactored to separate model and view, would it be an option to at some
> > point plug in omf as the model ?
>
> > Is this just a technical issue ? Or is there some politics involved, too
> > ? :-)
>
> What do you mean by "politics"?
> Umbrello is in dire need of more contributors to push ahead
> big things like this. I'm afraid with the current manpower
> it's just not doable.

on a historic note, the omf (my library) actually started as umbrello2 - you
can still find the original code for it on the umbrello's sourceforge cvs
repository in the umbrello2 module. of course, there were many fewer
contributors then and i didn't quite get it right the first time - or the
second time for that matter.

there's been some (by "some" i mean "very little") talk about having umbrello
use the omf as it's core data model. it was always my hope that it would, but
general consensus has been that it's more trouble than its worth - at least
for this generation of umbrello. however, if there were ever to be a ground
up reengineering effort, it would seem to be a viable option.

andrew sutton
asutton at cs.kent.edu