[Uml-devel] How to join developer group?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sun Nov 28 09:46:04 UTC 2004

On Sat, Nov 27, 2004 at 11:26:40PM +0100, Sven Bauhan wrote:
> I would like to join the development group for umbrello. But this would be the
> first time for me working in a free development group. Is there an
> introduction how I can start?

Great!  We need all the help we can get.

Developers need to be using the latest sources from CVS. Put the
following in ~/.cvsrc

 cvs -l -q -z4
 diff -up
 update -dP
 checkout -P

Download Umbrello from CVS by following the instruction at the bottom of

 http://uml.sourceforge.net/download.php

and compile by following the instructions for Source Code at

 http://uml.sourceforge.net/install.php

Then fix a beastie or add a feature, make sure it works and create a
patch with

 cvs diff > mypatch.diff

Put the patch file on a webserver somewhere and send us the URL.

> I am working as software engineer at the german air traffic control. I started
> to use umbrello for my daily work and want to improve this tool as I think it
> is the best free uml tool avilable.

How are your C++/Qt/KDE skills?

If you're looking for something easy to start off with it would be
great to have What's This help on all the tools explaining which each
one does.  We could also do with the handbook being updated and new
screenshots taken.

Otherwise there's plenty of problems to be fixed or features to be
added listed in bugs.kde.org

 http://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?product=umbrello&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED

Get back to us if you have any questions or problem, looking forward
to your first fix.