[Uml-devel] Class diagram and XMI

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Tue Mar 23 11:37:06 UTC 2004

On Tuesday 23 March 2004 02:01 pm, July Any M. De Rizzo wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm working with both ArgoUML and Rational Rose to see what is the better
> for my purpose.
> I know that you can create a diagram and export as XMI, but I'd like to
> know if having a XMI program that makes reference to a metamodel, could I
> have this XMI "transformed"/exported into a class diagram.
>
> Anybody can help me, please?
> Thanks!

i'm not entirely certain what you're after, but as a general rule there are no
uml applications out there that explicitly support references to the
metamodel. about the closest you can get is looking at the xml tags in the
xmi file and trying to deduce instances of metamodel objects from the xml
namespace uri and tag name - it's a pain. besides which, xmi doesn't really
support explicit metamodel references in its format. its encoded in the tag
name. it would be nice if it were otherwise.

the closest thing out there that *might* get you anywhere close to what i
think you want is my stuff (open modeling framework). it is, as far as i know
the only uml implementation that actually links instantiated uml objects to
their metamodel specifications, but that's done at runtime. and, of course,
there's no user interface - it's only a library with some python bindings. if
it might help, here's the url.

http://warhol.cs.kent.edu/~ansutton/omf

of course, i could be completely misunderstanding your question :)

andrew sutton
asutton at cs.kent.edu