[Uml-devel] Big umbrello project causes X11 to take too much memory - current CVS

Achim Spangler Achim.Spangler at mnet-online.de
Thu Jun 24 03:24:02 UTC 2004

Hi,
I'm not shure, if this effect was introduced previously into umbrello, or if
this is only triggered by my growing project.

My project ( xmi file ) is around 2 MB in size.
If I load the project into umbrello, "top" tells me the following memory
usage:

VIRT  RES  SHR S %CPU %MEM    TIME+  COMMAND
98452  46m  28m S 56.7  9.3   0:43.84 umbrello
615m 337m  46m S  2.9 67.0   3:32.83 X
^^^^^^^^^^^^

So while umbrellos memory usage is quite fine - in sum less than 80MB, the X
server takes too much memory. As the memory usage is normal, as soon as I
stop umbrello, this must be caused directly or indirectly by umbrello and my
project. A smaller project ( with less diagrams ) doesn't cause such memory
usage.

This could be caused, if all diagrams are created in parallel drawing areas
( canvas ), and the event "Display diagram Foo" does only set the visibility
flag of "Foo" to true, and false of all other diagrams.

I thought until now, that only the currently  displayed diagram is created
within the X11 memory space.

Can somebody explain this effect?

Bye,
Achim