[Uml-devel] Re: [Uml-user] application

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Jul 26 14:17:06 UTC 2004

On Mon, Jul 26, 2004 at 05:53:51PM -0300, Jose N Hinckel wrote:
>    After I created created my diagrams and fleshed out the methods I will
>    create the main application program.
>    Now, I would like my main program to have the look-and-feel of
>    Umbrello (A listview on the left, a documentation
>    pane on botton left and a "frame" for other windows on right).
>    My listview will hold instances of my objects (rockets, pumps,
>    chambers, etc ). Each object will have values for
>    the attributes. Since the classes were created with the Umbrello
>    aplication, the corresponding xmi file knows the names
>    of all the object attributes, therefore I could populated the list
>    view directly from the .xmi umbrello file.
>    Also umbrello knows how to notify changes to these attributes and give
>    them persistency. I would factor this
>    functionality from the Umbrello code into my application so that I
>    could save the status of project and
>    work on it later.
>    Would use the same procedure to populate a menubar with method calls
>    for my objects.

Ah I see.

You should indeed be able to import Umbrello's classes to re-use
them, however the basic layout of Umbrello isn't anything special it's
just a KDockMainWindow with a KListView and QCanvas so you may be
better starting off using KDevelop to give you the application
template and import the classes that makes into Umbrello.