[Uml-devel] Re: Thoughts on Umbrello 1.3

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Sat Jan 31 02:25:14 UTC 2004

Erik Engbrecht <erik.engbrecht at verizon.net> [040131 10:47]:
> I'm new to this and don't mean to sound obnoxious on my first post, but
> what is the vision for Umbrello?

To not just have a UML Modeller, but to have a complete CASE framework,
supporting everything from diagram drawing to roundtrip engineering.

> Of course, focusing on extensibility can easily lead to excessive levels
> of abstraction, which in turn destroy extensibility by making the
> framework too difficult to understand.  So a vision what type of
> extensibility is required is needed.

The idea was to have a clear repository holding the data and presenting a
common api to get the data. So everybody wanting to enhance Umbrello should
only deal with the repository api. Also, for the GUI some kind of plugin
mechanism would be needed, something like in Gideon (aka kdevelop).

I think this is the main idea behind the rewrite.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/
Bug Reports     : http://bugs.kde.org/
CVS             : kdesdk/umbrello on cvs.kde.org:/home/kde