[Uml-devel] Thoughts on Umbrello 1.3

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Tue Jan 20 09:04:01 UTC 2004

Andrew Sutton <asutton at cs.kent.edu> [040120 17:45]:
> > a) improvement of Umbrello 1.2
> > b) rewrite of Umbrello 1.2
> > c) merge with Umbrello2
> > d) something else?
>
> > I strongly suggest the first choice.  Umbrello 1.2 is good and
> > maintainable so we should maintain it and improve it.  There's plenty
> > to be improved and added.

> in terms of future direction i think its time to abandon the old code base and
> start fresh. continuing with 1.2 will probably just end up making the project
> age prematurely and we'll probable end up introducing more bugs with every
> fix.

I fully agree here.

> > Standards compliance with XMI is happening now which is great.
> > Eventually we may need to look at UML 2 but probably not for this
> > release.
>
> no... let's hold off on uml2. that way, we can release umbrello 2 to use uml
> 2. it's a significantly different metamodel and not at all easy to implement
> in c++.

Let's see. I haven't seen a release plan, but KDE 3.3 or 4.0 will need
another year to be released. UML2 is scheduled, I think, for this summer.
This means we have enough time to go for UML2. What are your concerns
against UML 2? I think it is really valuable to have things like MDA.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/
Bug Reports     : http://bugs.kde.org/
CVS             : kdesdk/umbrello on cvs.kde.org:/home/kde