[Uml-devel] Re: Universal Model DataTypes in umbrello

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu Feb 5 10:56:23 UTC 2004

On Thursday 05 February 2004 01:41 pm, Andrew Sutton wrote:
> It's funny, I'm writing some notes on roundtrip engineering and one of the
> big problems is mapping from UML to a specific language. There's alot of
> places where this stuff doesn't fit quite right... like mapping primitives
> from uml to C++, Java, or even specific environments like Qt (e.g.,
> string->QString).
>
> maybe the best solution, for now, is to leave it as it is and assume just
> have the code generator rewrite the data type on the fly.

	Yeah, thats my feeling too, and in fact, now that I think about it,
	the way its currently implemented is just like the "umbrello:<datatype>"
	solution I proposed, so no work need really be done :)

	One of my goals for the next period of development in umbrello
	is to see some type of round-tripping implemented. Im also concerned
	how the current code import scheme might fit in with round-tripping.
	So, I'd be interested in any papers/notes/articles that you (or anyone
	else on this list) may have written or can point me to concerning this.

	=b.t.