[Uml-devel] Network driver question

Akash Ram krisp_9 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 17 18:36:04 UTC 2004

Hi,

I am a newbie to UML.  I am writing a module (a
network device driver) to the UML kernel and want to
access the files on the host so as to start a Verilog
simulation on the host.  I guess this should be
possible as technically, the UML kernel is just a
user-level process on the host.  Is there a way to do
it from the UML kernel module?

I am thinking of creating a char/block device that'll
help communication between the UML kernel and a UML
user process.  This user process will mount the
filesystem from the host using 'hostfs' and send the
needed data to the kernel thru' the char/block
device.  Is there a better way to do than this?  I
want to avoid the overhead of the upcalls from the UML
kernel to the UML process if the kernel can directly
access the host filesystem somehow.

Thanks in advance,
Akash.

krisp_9 at no spam dot yahoo dot com