[Uml-devel] Printing and export patch

Paul de Vrieze pauldv at cs.kun.nl
Tue Sep 9 03:33:07 UTC 2003

> Am Sonntag, 24. August 2003 22:55 schrieb Sebastian Stein:
>> Paul de Vrieze <pauldv at cs.kun.nl> [030824 16:16]:
>> > Ok, I made some new patches for the cvs version. The printing patch
>> > contains the getDiagram() function necessary for the export patch, so
>> if
>> > it is decided to only take the export patch, take that too.
>>
>> Klas Kalass (klas.kalass at gmx.de) was also working on printing. He is
>> currently looking at your code and tries to figure out how to combine
>> his
>> efforts with your work. He mainly wants a more generic approach and
>> maybe
>> throw out the old function completely. But he is the expert so I stop
>> talking nonsense... ;-
>>
>> So, please wait some days he will give me feedback how he wants to merge
>> it.
> Sorry that i am so late with answering this.
>
> Basically I like the feature you called "Scale the diagram" a lot, but I
> would
> suggest naming it "Fit to page" because "scale" is a much too generic name
> for this functionality.
>
> The problem with the old eps code is that it was not me beeing too stupid
> implement it short, but in qt not writing a correct eps file. Your patch
> basically re-introduces a bug where the eps bounding box has size A4 and
> not
> the actual size of the diagram. Most notably if you have a big diagram
> that
> does not start in the upper left it will be cut off on the right and show
> lot of unnecessary white on the left side. For more details please read
> the
> comments you removed in your patch.

I'll check the bounding box code of QT then to fiend whether the bug is
still valid. It seems to work at my computer though.

> scalePrint:
> Is there a reason why you use a constant for the margins and do not use
> the
> printer defined margins? And why didn't you integrate your code into the
> existing printing code? I don't think it is good to have differing styles
> for
> printing, which this basically leads to (your footer already looks
> different
> - but please don't make it "look like" the other footer, share code
> instead).

The reason I used constant margins is that the printer margins give the
printable region of the printer which is bigger then what looks good.

> Can you provide a new version of your patch that solves the issues pointed
> out
> above?

I'm currently on holidays, but after I get back I will make a new patch.

Paul