[Uml-devel] Question about an error I am getting.

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Oct 28 04:25:04 UTC 2003

On Mon, Oct 27, 2003 at 05:13:46PM -0800, REYNOLDS,JOHN (HP-Boise,ex1) wrote:

> When I click on any class in my diagram, it popping up a dialog box titled
> "Association error! - Umbrello UML Mo"
> With a message of "Incorrect use of associations."

Which version of Umbrello?

What type of association are you making?

Are you sure it's classes that you are making the associations betweeb?

> However, there is no clue given about what is wrong.  Furthermore, it seems
> to happen on every class now, when before some classes were OK. Even classes
> I haven't changed are wrong.
>
> Also, the Umbrello UML Modeller Handbook has one kind of arrow for an
> association, and one for aggregation. But, the tool has more choices than
> that. What are the differences between the association choices?  How can I
> figure out why the tool thinks my diagram is wrong (it probably is, but I
> would like to know why)?

The differences are subtle and for the most part not very important,
I've had fairly expert UML users tell me just to ignore the differnt types.  You
mostly want normal associations, uni directional associations and
implements/generalisations.