[Uml-devel] What are the Enum's good for?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Fri Oct 24 02:29:02 UTC 2003

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 08:54:56AM +0200, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> in Umbrello we have Enums in Class Diagrams. What are they good for? I know
> the enum concept of C++ so I think it must be very similar. Could someone
> please explain it to me?

They are the same as enum's in C++.  A simple variable which can be
set to one of a list of values.
daysOfWeek {Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday}

that sort of thing.

They're there because the UML spec says they should be and because
they will be added to Java 1.5 (due out sometime soonish) which means
more people will be using them.

I also noticed that the UML spec says class intances (i.e. objects)
should be allowed in class diagrams so maybe that should be added in
Umbrello 1.3.