[Uml-devel] Re: Uml-devel digest, Vol 1 #499 - 10 msgs

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Fri May 16 00:17:05 UTC 2003

Brian Thomas <thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov> [030516 08:37]:
> 	What the user MAY NOT edit is the actual preview of the code itself where
> 	all of this information is assembled. They must use the largely
> 	preexisting edit dialogs to change  the appropriate UMLObject in  order
> 	to affect a change in the (generated) code. The only addition to current
> 	functionality in Umbrello
> 	is a text box editor for the body of the code, ideally made part of the
> 	current UMLObject popup dialogs as appropriate. Otherwise, we provide a
> 	clickable preview of the code as an aid to user navigation to the
> 	appropriate popup dialog editor in Umbrello, should they wish to make a
> 	change.

I agree here as well. We only generate code from class diagrams and so
nothing will ever be added to the body of a function. If we really start
generating code using the information given maybe in a sequence diagram, we
will get into trouble. But I'm not sure if any CASE tool is doing this.

So I think it is very ok to let the user enter code from Umbrello directly
into an operation body. This can be done using calling a KDE editor part or
if the user wishes another external editor is called (vim, emacs,...).

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/