[Uml-devel] Code generation proposal, take 3

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Wed May 14 14:44:05 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 14 May 2003 05:38 pm, you wrote:
> Brian Thomas <thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov> [030514 21:47]:
> >             C. Support auto-generation of methods  (e.g. in most
> > languages this means ability to auto- generate accessor methods)
>
> But the user should be able to control if an accessor method is needed. If
> you add an accessor method for each member, this could really blow up the
> code. Maybe most of this method are not needed. And it would be interesting
> to say, if an accessor for writing or for reading or for both actions are
> needed. In some programming languages accessor methods for both actions are
> done only with one method, but in C# for example you have 2 "functions"
> (ok, they are properties, but that isn't important yet).

	Yes, of course. I meant simply that auto-generation be supported but
	not _required_. Codegen controls should allow the user to select whether they want
	this or not. Certaintly there is a need to allow choice of some types of
	accessors depending on attribute type too. For example, "get" and "set" for
	single attributes and "add","remove" and "getList" for list type attributes
	(optional...user could decide that they want simple 'get/set' for lists). Ideally,
	this would be a 'scriptable' thing that the user could provide, IF they didnt
	lilke the default choices.

				-b.t.