[Uml-devel] u2 gui design

Oliver Kellogg Oliver.Kellogg at t-online.de
Sun May 4 23:40:07 UTC 2003

On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 10:49:46 -0400, Andrew Sutton wrote:

> okay... i've been giving the gui for u2 some thought lately and i think i've
> figured out what to do with it.
> [...]
> in otherwords, its basically kdevelop for modeling.

Wow. This triggers another thought.
Are you familiar with the kdevelop internals?
They use a "class store" as the online repository for the
programming language declarations. Basically the language
parsers fill the class store.

Couldn't we try to use this class store also for u2?

Just think: We'd get the language parsers for free -
at the time of writing, this is at least C++, Java,
Pascal, Ada (with more to come.)

Perhaps the class store would need some augmentation
for UML specific info - but that shouldn't be a problem,
the kdevelop code would just ignore those parts.

This brings to mind the thread
"kdesdk/umbrello/umbrello/codegenerators", where Brian Thomas
wrote [slightly reformatted]

> Speaking of code generators, Im in the middle of a re-design
> of the code generation system. I cant figure out if it is
> better to integrate the ability to specify language specific
> parameters within the class diagram dialogs (e.g if you click
> on a class attribute, and have code generation set to "CPP"
> you should have the option of making that attribute "virtual")
> OR to have a completely separate interface where the code is
> edited on (lightly, I  dont want to reinvent kdevelop here!!)

Well, I think integration with kdevelop (at least under the
hood, not necessarily on the user interface) would be a boon!

Oliver