[Uml-devel] Article about Umbrello

Sebastian Stein seb_stein at gmx.de
Fri May 2 10:34:59 UTC 2003

Mathias Meyer <mailings at beatsteaks.de> [030502 13:41]:
> just fyi: I'm holding the freshly printed, new edition of the German Linux
> Magazine in my hands, and they printed a whole article about Umbrello.
> You can also find it at
> http://www.linux-magazin.de/Artikel/ausgabe/2003/06/umbrello/umbrello.html.
> It's in German, but might be worth a link on your website anyway.

Ok, I will some the most important points up, because not everybody can read
it. I'm a little bit disappointed, that the author didn't contacted one of
us. Because the author mentiones some things which are in my opinion very
common things in CASE/diagramming apps, but the author doesn't seem to be
familar with. Here we go:

critism 1: The author didn't understood, why a diagram element like a class
isn't added to a diagram in the tree view. In the author's opinion it would
be more easy, if a object used in different diagrams would be listed several
times in the tree view. The author says, that this might be confusing in big
projects.
Well, I would say having the same object again and again as independent
copies would just create a chaos of redundancy. Anyway, the author suggests
for a further version, to have a special tree view mode, where you can find
under each diagram all elements used in the diagram.

critism 2: If you create folders in the tree view, these folders are not
used during code generations as directories. The author finds out, that to
do this you have to use packages.

critism 3: The author says, that to rename a object, you can click on it in
the tree view and type in the new name. But you have to press return or esc
at the end to get out of edit mode. The author expected to be able to leave
the edit mode by clicking in the diagram as well.

critism 4: extra points in an association are not correctly stored and
restored from/to a xmi file.

critism 5: undo needed

critism 6: to be able to set the connection point of an association to the
object

critism 7: The author wishes to get context sensitive help. So if you
activated maybe the class icon in a toolbar and press F1, you should jump to
a corresponding help chapter.

critism 8: It wasn't possible to load an Umbrello XMI file in Oracle
JDeveloper 9.

Umbrello UML Modeller
Description     : UML diagram drawing tool for KDE with code generation
Homepage        : http://www.umbrello.org/