[Uml-devel] Getting code more stable

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Thu May 1 14:55:12 UTC 2003

On Wednesday 30 April 2003 06:50 pm, umbrello-devel-request at mail.kde.org wrote:
> In the last weeks the code base of Umbrello (1.x) became very unstable. I
> wasn't able to dig into these problems, but we see a lot of bug reports
> even for the "stable" 1.1.1 version. What do you think about stopping new
> features and fixing some bugs? I mean people like Thomas said they won't go
> on development (of the code generators) at the moment, because the code is
> just to unstable. On my maschine Umbrello crashes every time I close it.
>
> Maybe we should throw out the plugin stuff. Do we really need it at the
> moment?

	Well, I think it would be great to have the plugin stuff, but not if its going
	to make the 1.1 (or 1.2) series unstable for a long time. Yes, its true I dont
	want to hack on the code until its more stable, but I would like to get
	*some* code generator changes in umbrello 1.2 before the KDE feature freeze.

	(I forget, will 1.2 or 1.1 appear in the next KDE release? I had thought it would
	be 1.2, but perhaps Im wrong, someone please inform me :)

	I guess my overall view is that the 1.1 stuff shouldnt be changing *at all* unless
	its a dire bug fix. Some small features might creep in 1.1.x, but that stuff really
	belongs in 1.2 alongside of functional/bug fixes. And if the feature is a radical
	departure from Umbrello, then its probably best to wait for 2.x series to put it in.
	Without understanding more about the plugin stuff, I would suppose it falls somewhere
	inbetween 1.2 and 2.0.

					=b.t.

					-b.t.

--