[Uml-devel] Various responses to various things ....

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Sun Mar 16 12:36:22 UTC 2003

On Thu, 13 Mar 2003, Brian Thomas wrote:

> 	I do think it would be good to have a style guide for the
> Umbrello project (*gasp* is there one that I missed?
> 	I hope my code is compliant if so!! Someone let me know..). This
> guide should outlay not only indentation
> 	practices, but also whether or not you can initialize in the
> constructor declaration (I hope not!! an init() method
> 	call is much perferable!!) and other such things including
> nameing schemes etc. I think lack of consistent
> 	style is what has made it a relatively steep learning curve for
> me to get involved in the project.

There isn't one (other than if you use a style I don't like I'll jolly
well change it back next time I'm working on that bit of code).

Lets see,
-use tabs (at 8 spaces wide) for indentation
-give variables sensible names, not `o' or `t', but something with some
meaning
-class member variables should have a Hungarian style m_ infront of them
-I like opening curly brackets to be on the same line as they start on but
Luis likes them to be on a line of their own so whitiver really
-Have curly brackets on an else thus: `  } else { ' saves space and just
as readable
-Most important of all, use normal English (or possibly Scots), none of
this Americanizationed nonsence :)

Seems like fair advice on the init() methods.

> 	- improve Java, XMLSchema, C++ and Perl code generation as needed.
> 	- make a UMLAssociationRoleMultiple class that tightly controls
> information about Role A,B multi values.
> 	- add in template driven codegeneration for all code generators.

Go Brian.  Might well be worth seeing if you can get your own KDE CVS
account.