[Uml-devel] Interfaces not properly implemented

Brian Thomas thomas at mail630.gsfc.nasa.gov
Tue Mar 11 10:46:09 UTC 2003

	I was taking a look at how to generate interface classes in the javawriter
	and discovered what I think is an error in the abstraction of the "UMLConcept"
	and "UMLInterface" classes ... namely that they arent related at all, except at
	the UMLCanvasObject level, which is too far down the inheritance tree. From
	the UML Notation Guide, an "interface" is defined as a "specifier of visible operations
	on a class, component or other classifier". The spec goes on to say that an
	interface is "formally equivalent to an abstract class with no attributes or methods
	and only abstract operations"

	This suggests to me that the inheritance should be the following:

        UMLCanvasObject

             UMLConcept---------------
 UMLClass                          UMLInterface

	I would make "UMLConcept" an abstract class. (BTW, where does the name "UMLConcept"
	come from? I cant find it in the UML docs..perhaps I didnt look hard enough?? Its not mentioned
	in any of the UML guide books I have either).

	I have code that largely does this now and would like to submit it to the project.
	Any comments on this proposal?

							-b.t.