[Uml-devel] test/update

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Tue Jun 3 08:26:07 UTC 2003

this is part test (apparently, the cs department managed to delete my account
- pure genius) and part update.

i've been working on some low level graphics stuff the last couple weeks to
see if i couldn't find a better drawing framework. it turns out that the
stuff that i want won't be mature for some time. in short - we wait. besides,
i'd rather be working on something i'm more familiar with.

in that vein, i've been working on umbrello2 the last 2 days again and making
good progress. i've got the outline of the actual document stuff done (as in
document/view). i've also finished making sure that the initialization
protocol works with the document. it turns out to not be so easy to make sure
that all your parts and plugins are loaded and initialized before the
document is created (we need this to happen). it might be a little fragile
and confusing, but it works.

last night and today, i've been trying to figure out the best way to work with
the 4+1 view (logical view, use case view - that stuff). i never like the
division into actual uml folders because it violates the nice package
organization. for example, if i'm designing a library (lets call it "std"), i
might want my use cases in that folder. if we separate the logical view and
the use case view into different folders at the root, i'm going to have to go
all the way back to the root of the tree, search and through that folder to
find the right diagrams or objects.

instead, what i propose - and what i'm already starting to code for (because
its just a great idea :) is to implement a sort of filter system for these
views. the model tree (what's on the left of umbrello 1.x) could have some
buttons that determine whether or not you see certain objects in the model
tree. for example, if i want to focus on design, i turn off the use case view
button and all the use case diagrams and objects go aways. however, if i
really want to see those there - fine. neat, huh.

lets see... what else have i done... not much really. some basic framework
stuff to get things to work nicely. i should have a pretty sizable patch soon
- especially since i just re-generated the object models with some new code
to emit signals :)

i'm also going to make the umbrello2 part into the modeltree part - in
otherwords, we're getting a new subdir in the root of the build directory.
more fun :)

andy