[Uml-devel] Why you should use Umbrello UML Modeller

Andrew Sutton asutton at cs.kent.edu
Sun Jul 27 17:51:18 UTC 2003

On Sunday 27 July 2003 01:34 pm, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
> Discuss and comment.
>
> http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/view/74

good announcement. i wish i could afford the ticket or the time :) in order
for OS projects to succeed, the need fresh developers - sometimes fresh
maintainers - and that gives us the need to communicate our ideas about the
software. in many (and particularly older) systems, we've had to learn about
the design from the code - and that really sucks. if we're lucky, there's
comments. if we're really lucky, there's good comments and doxygen or javadoc
or kdoc information. sometimes that isn't really enough. its not always easy
to see the forest through the trees - or in this case, the design through the
code or the api reference.

where uml really comes into play in open source probably isn't design so much
as it is programming understanding - i.e. maintenance or evolution or
whatever you want to call it. i think that open source projects will continue
to be built the way they have been for years: code first, design later.

so far, uml hasn't seen too many inroads or adoptions by the open source
community. its an interesting question and one that i think has to do with
process. i don't think it will be successful within open source until we can
do something really cool with it - and that means kdevelop. i don't mean
integrating with kdevelop so much as building a model-driven backend for it
(like replacing the class store and project management information). that
should get it a little more visibility and hopefully usage.

if that works, then there's some interesting possibilities out there.

wow... that's some pretty positive feedback so far (sarcasm abounds). except
for the one about the pints. come on, we're just making an electronic version
of bar napkin drawing anyway, right :)

the first guy clearly has very limited knowledge of uml.

the second guy apparently seems to think that the kdevelop class store is
somehow equivilant to the uml data model. truth be told, a real uml data
model implementation could be a perfect replacement for the class store
because it could also be used to contain other modeled information as well
such as the file system abstraction (uml artifacts) or the build-time
configuration (component views) or installation requirements (deployment
views).

andy