[Uml-devel] CASE tools and IDEs

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Wed Jan 29 08:38:04 UTC 2003

since we're talking about integrating umbrello and gideon, i have to throw in
my $.02

first, IDE's are overly compiler-centric. developers have to deal with files
and directories because that's what the build environment understandes. the
files don't really correspond to anything useful from the development
standpoint. all we care about is class and implementation - i don't give a
shit what file its in.

second, IDE's are good if all you care about is the code. sure, the class view
is useful - i guess, but it doesn't provide a very good abstraction for
viewing the project. neither does the file view. its just lists of classes
and files and the like.

to sum up, i think that IDE's will be obsolete - at least in their current
form sometime in the not-so-distant future. from the other side of the
argument, we have CASE tools - like UML modeler's and such.

traditionally, they haven't really been to useful for development because
they've not been tied to the IDE. also, roundtrip engineering (making a
change to the code affects the design in real time and vice versa) hasn't
been implemented very well. additionally, CASE tools don't provide really
good mechanisms for navigating the possible abstractions of your project.
usually, there's a tree view with all your classes and use cases and
diagrams, but that's pretty weak. UML allows for significantly more
complicated abstractions - for example, viewing inheritance or containment
hierarchies for a library.

what a lot of people don't know is that UML is designed to contain
implementation as much as specification. in other words, the CASE tool could
become the IDE. that, as much as anything is my real goal for Umbrello - to
replace the standard IDE with a CASE tool. all that's missing is adaptations
to UML to support the modeling of build environments, compiler options and
the like. hmmm... that sounds like a master's thesis.

as for Umbrello and Gideon - i don't see it happening - certainly not for 1.x.
if somebody wants to adapt the design for 2.0 to support roundtrip
engineering, its all them - as long as it doesn't break the design for the
rest of the application and doesn't steer umbrello away from what we want it
to be.

andy