[Uml-devel] Re: Uml-devel digest, Vol 1 #309 - 4 msgs

Luis De la Parra Blum lparrab at gmx.net
Tue Jan 28 13:51:02 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 28 January 2003 21:38, Brian Thomas wrote:
> 	Hmm. Within a version of Umbrello I might agree that the priority is
> backwards compatability, but from what I can tell, much is badly out of
> spec and will require some serious surgery to reach compliance. Perhaps
> version 2.0 of umbrello can make a point of achieving compliance with XMI
> spec 1.1 rather than be able to read the older umbrello 1.1 series save

of course the goal should be to go for standards compilance, but if we start
breaking file compatibility just like that we'll probably lose a lot of
users... at least I would not rely on a tool that changes file format with
every release and makes all my old work unusable.
I think for 1.2 we should just stick with the current format (well, just the
changes needed to acomodate the new associations and stuff like that)

for 2.0 we aim for standard compilance, but we will definitly(?) need a way to
import files.. be it a filter, XSLT, or whatever.

> inheriting from the XMI one). (For those of you wondering why an umbrello
> DTD is needed instead of just the XMI one, it is because (I assume) certain
> declarations like "FloatingText" arent in the XMI spec and must be added in

we could go the tar.gz way...
we have a XMI where most of the model information is stored, and we have a
Umbrello add-on file, where floating texts, and (at least untill uml 2.0
comes out) diagram information is stored.. then we just load the two files
and merge the DOM trees in memory

luis