[Uml-devel] Validation of XMI files, DTD or schema?

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Tue Jan 28 12:06:37 UTC 2003

On Tue, 28 Jan 2003, Brian Thomas wrote:

> 	Hi, I just tried to validate the output XMI from umbrello with a number of
> 	available XMI dtd, none of them worked (some errors printing below). Particularly
> 	troublesome was the fact that the umbrello files are outputing something with
> 	attributes of xmi.version "1.2" and "1.3" (different nodes have different versions).
> 	This seems inconsistent, AND, for no DTD I could find is there any xmi.version
> 	attribute higher than 1.1.
>
> 	Can someone point me to a DTD (or schema) which will work?

There isn't one.  XMI is a difficult standard to follow and we don't do it
very well.  I'd be curious to know how well Rational or Together or the
like do it.

The latest version of XMI is 1.2 I think but it's DTD does seem to say
version 1.1 which is strange, but probably our bug.

The 1.3 is the version of UML.  It could be upped to 1.4 if you wish.

There are probably numberous places where the file format could be updated
to be more XMI compliant which would be great (so long as we retained the
possibility to load Umbrello 1.1 files).