[Uml-devel] usability problems

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Mon Jan 27 07:58:04 UTC 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Stefan Klett wrote:
> The second problem is founded in the way umbrello makes the descision
> whether a message is intended to be sent to the object itself or to
> another object. AFAIK there is no way to make this  decision
> intensionally, but is left to the modeler (I guess the intention was to make this by a
> kind of "mouse-gesture"- the way an object is touched by the mouse while
> dragging ) - but unfortunately this in most of the cases did not work- the
> results were that i only was able to send self references, but found no
> way to express that i wanted to send a message to a different object in
> the diagram(of course resulting in many surplus "loops" which could not be
> deleted due to the problem described above). Therefore i am begging you to
> to include a possibility to influence  this behaviour - the "right mouse
> down" menue would be a good place to say: loop or straight).

Sorry for the late reply.  I don't quite understand this point.  To send a
message from one object to another you click on the first then on the
second.  To send a message from one object to itself you click on the
object then on the object again.  Are you getting confused by having two
clicks rather than a drag (something I'd like to change)?