Fwd: Re: [Uml-devel] Java code generator, Association role support?

Brian Thomas thomas at adc.gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Jan 17 12:44:02 UTC 2003

On Friday 17 January 2003 01:05 pm, you wrote:
> >       I have already hacked in most of these changes, but comments are
> > welcome. I can post diffs of my
> >      code here, or to the responsible maintainer of the code generator
> > software as desired.
>
> Yes, do post them to the list (or a URL to the patches), if we don't see
> it then it certainly won't be used.

	Ok from what I read on this list the patches should be divided into 2 sets:
	one for the associations having 2 roles, the other set for javacode
 generation. There is some overlap between the two. I also would like to see
 the improved association class layout, the one which is in 1.1rc1 IMO is a
 complete mess. Revamping this set of classes would be welcome from my
 standpoint.

	While we are here, talking about the "association class" fields (really its
	associationwidget) here's my list of what is seriously wrong:

	-  associationwidget should either inherit from an association class or
	   have a priviate field pointing to association object held inside.

	- many messy private methods need to have their butts kicked into shape

	- associationwidget missing many important attributes of associations,
 including:

	  	- 2 role attributes, e.g one for class A and the other role for class b
		-  visibility of the each of the roles (e.g. public, private, protected)
		- changeability at each end of the association (e.g. {addOnly}, {frozen},
 etc) - ordering for each end of the association (e.g. {unordered},
 {ordered})

	and also consider adding in fields to association for handling interface
 specifiers for each end of the association (but this isnt critical, IMO).

	I would love to see the new 2.0 implementation of the associations, but as I
 previously mentioned, cant seem to get even anonymous access to the CVS
 server (I'll try to figure this out over the weekend).

	I'll try to send in my patches early next week. Monday is a federal holiday
 for us, so it will probably be on tuesday. If this means missing 1.2rc
 release, thats OK with me (not that I expect anyone is waiting on me...)

											=b.t.

--

  * Dr. Brian Thomas
  * ADC NASA/Raytheon ITSS

  *   fax: (301) 286-1771
  * phone: (301) 286-6128

[Norm is angry.]

Woody: What can I get you, Mr. Peterson?
Norm:  Clifford Clavin's head.
		-- Cheers, The Triangle

Sam:  Hey, what's happening, Norm?
Norm: Well, it's a dog-eat-dog world, Sammy,
      and I'm wearing Milk-Bone underwear.
		-- Cheers, The Peterson Principle

Sam:  How's life in the fast lane, Normie?
Norm: Beats me, I can't find the on-ramp.
		-- Cheers, Diane Chambers Day