[Uml-devel] extending class import to other languages

Andrew Sutton ansutton at kent.edu
Wed Jan 15 08:41:19 UTC 2003

On Tuesday 14 January 2003 10:17 pm, James E. Flemer wrote:
> [ Not subscribed, please maintain CC. ]
>
> Hey all,  I searched the archives on sf.net, but didn't see
> any messages about adding other languages to the class
> import feature.  It seems from the code that it is pretty
> much hard coded to C++.  Is there any plan to extend this
> with some interface like the code generator?  Perhaps some
> of the Parsed* stuff is generic enough that another parser
> could reuse some of them.  What are the plans (if any) for
> this part of the program?

there's work being done on a new version. we hope to include some signifcant
reverse engineering (RE) facilities (multi-lingual imports is one). there
really doesn't need to be much of a plan for what you're suggesting. an RE
plugin could parse source and create UML data objects that correspond to the
parsed code.

on a side note, UML supports language profiles (IDL, Java, C++, etc). these
basically add information, attributes, what have you to UML data objects. for
example, in C++, a class can be declared virtual, but UML doesn't support
that by default. at least i think stuff works this way.

what languages are you thinking about?

andy